Fill ‘Er Up

I got all of the frames in the nursery collage filled – out with the generics!  To see how I hung the collage, click here.

nurserycollagedeets 005

It didn’t turn out exactly as I had planned…I feel like all of my projects have little hiccups these days.  The girls in the pea pod picture was supposed to be an 8 x 10 but when I saved it way back when, I saved the file smaller than I intended (so sad considering it’s the only copy I have) and the largest I could print without it being super-blurry was a 5 x 7.  I didn’t plan on having to mat it considering the size I wanted it so I simply placed it over a white piece of copy paper I cut to size. 

nurserycollagedeets 006

The little square frames on both sides hold ultrasound pictures of both girls, the one on the left is a picture of the tops of their heads together and the one on the right is the first ultrasound we got that told us we were going to have our hands (and hearts) full with twins!  I used to put a pink filter over them and was planning on lightening them just a little but forgot.  The frame on the far left is the one I tried coffee staining and holds these foot-printed buttons we got from the hospital after the girls were born:nurserycollagedeets 003

I took out the frame glass, wrapped some leftover fabric around the backing, and used some washable tacky glue to glue the buttons to the fabric (I accidentally glued Cecilia’s feet on backwards…oops!  Good thing it’s washable glue!) wrapnglue

I used this free printable in the octagonal frame, another one of my hiccups.  Since we were out of ink, I printed all of the pictures out at Wal-Mart.  The word art downloaded as a .pdf file and so I had to use some online service to convert it to a .jpeg and after it’s conversion, the background color was a little more green and darker than it’s .pdf version…hmph.  Then I assumed that it’d fill the frame as an 8 x 10 but I was wrong (always check before you print…duh).  I had to extend the existing mat (which I spray painted white) with some more copy paper to make up for the size difference.  It’s not my fave.  I might swap it out for my own painted rendition one of these days.

nurserycollagedeets 007

Even with the minor issues though, I do love it.  The best part is that the whole thing only cost me about $6 in picture printing and $3 for the octagonal frame (thrifted).  The other frames and cross were either gifts or hand-me-downs.  The collage is hung high enough that the girls can’t reach it while being changed and once potty-training has commenced and the changing pad goes away, I can always add to it.  For now, it’s one more thing checked off the nursery to-do list.

  nurserycollagedeets 009

This and the mint wall in the kitchen are the two out of four tasks I completed after last week’s coffee-induced motivation.  I’ll be back sometime this week to dish on the other two.  I’m going to need some input so please come back and give me yours! 


  1. I love the way the frames turned out!! I'm always having to improvise when it comes to getting the photos that I want in the actual frames.

    You would never know that the 5x7 photo of the girls wasn't in a mat, it looks great!!

    1. I guess it's always a tweaking process. And yes to the no-mat picture of the girls! It look so good I'm thinking I'll never buy a mat again!!!

  2. I found your sweet blog googling twin at 22 weeks, as I am that far with two boys! And we just painted our nursery tan and white stripes! Great minds ;)