Last week, I finally got around to throwing up a collage wall and making a lamp out of string lights in Sebastian’s room. If you missed that post, go check it out.
A few of the things up on that wall are some trophies from Anthony’s years past – Little League baseball years past. I asked him a few years ago if he’d allow me to spray paint them and I got a shocked face and a stern, are-you-crazy, “no”. Then I tried again last week and, maybe since all these guys have been doing is chilling in Sebastian’s closet, I got a “sure”. So, I took that affirmative and ran with it…straight outside…with a few cans of spray paint.
Trophies are put together really simply.
Basically, they’re a bunch of pieces and parts stacked on top of eachother with a long, threaded rod down the middle and that rod is secured at the bottom with a nut.
Unscrew that nut and everything will just slide right off.
The super cool thing about Anthony’s trophies is that each base is marble, carrerra marble to be exact. I know so because a tiny sticker on the back of each told me so. So fancy, right? Well, there’s no way I’m going to paint something that isn’t ugly in the first place. So, I grabbed all the plastic to be painted and left the marble as-is.
I gave all of the pieces a good washing with some dish soap and a toothbrush before I painted them. They were a tad dusty from being stored so long. After they were dry, I took them outside and laid them all out on a big piece of posterboard that was headed for the trash.
Then I gave each piece a coat of spray primer. Plastic tends to be pretty finicky when it comes to holding paint (ahem), so priming it first ups the chances of it really sticking.
I painted one side of each piece, let that side dry, and then turned everything over to paint the other side.
Two of the trophies I left just primed – the gray and white. I wasn’t sure what color I wanted to go and the only actual color I have in my spray paint stash right now is yellow.
Once everything was nice and dry, I put the trophies back together the same way I took them apart – by stacking them in order over the rod and securing it all by putting that nut back on at the base. Except, in putting them back together, I turned the marble bases around backwards so that the metal plate parts with all of the writing were facing the back and the fronts were just plain marble. See?
(So I was thinking while I was putting these things back together, about how awesome it would be to grab a few marble-laden trophies from a thrift store, take them apart to remove the marble, and stack the marble pieces all together to make a lamp base. You could put all the big pieces at the bottom and small at the top or you could stagger them so they’re all different. Either way, it be a really cool and cheap way to get a marble lamp! :D )
Had I a longer shelf, I probably would’ve painted more trophies and maybe that’ll eventually happen anyway. Until then though, I really love how these turned out. It’s fun when you can redo and repurpose something but even more fun and special when it’s something of sentimental value that probably wouldn’t have been used much less displayed anyway. :)
All thanks and gratitude to my trophy husband for being so good at baseball as a wee lad, for without his mad skills (and eventual reluctance to my painting idea), this post would probably never have been written. :)